Tag Archives: postgis

Update on a side project

This is the first in a series of posts about a side project I’ve been developing and maintaining for the past few years. This introduction will be accompanied by subsequent posts dealing with the technical, commitment, and emotional issues associated … Continue reading

Posted in NJ Parcels, Technology | Tagged , , , , , | 6 Comments

Optimize Your Indexes and Selections

I have been working on a project that is driven by a series of functions written in PL/pgsql. The functions look at New Jersey’s land use data over several different time periods and selects out certain areas if they have the … Continue reading

Posted in PostgreSQL, Technology, Tools and Scripts | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off on Optimize Your Indexes and Selections

Using Tableau to visualize land use change

I was home sick on Wednesday, so while I was on the couch I decided to dive into Tableau Public, a free desktop visualization tool. At IERP, we use Tableau for some of our public dashboards. Other than some minor … Continue reading

Posted in Data, Planning, PostgreSQL, Technology, Tools and Scripts, Visualization | Tagged , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Generating row and column IDs for a hexagon grid

Recently when working on a project that uses a hexagon grid, I used the awesome mmqgis plugin to QGIS to produce the grid. The one small shortcoming with the tool is that I would prefer to have a cell identifier … Continue reading

Posted in Data, PostgreSQL, Tools and Scripts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Generating row and column IDs for a hexagon grid

Rendering weirdness with reference data

Continued from yesterday’s post: Bizarre GeoServer WMS Rendering Both the NJ Landscape Project habitat data and the Municipalities data are complex. It is hard to pinpoint a rendering issue when the data is very complex. I prepared a reference data … Continue reading

Posted in Data, Web Mapping | Tagged , , | 5 Comments

Bizarre GeoServer WMS rendering possibly due to ArcGIS handling of PostGIS data

I just submitted a problem to the OpenGeo support forum regarding an unusual bug I’ve discovered in GeoServer. Multipart polygon geometries are producing “unintentional art” when rendered through GeoServer. Several GIS data sets that have been brought into PostGIS using … Continue reading

Posted in Data, Technology, Visualization, Web Mapping | Tagged , , , , , | 1 Comment