On the way home from my grandparents last night, Kate and I were discussing how there are very few Christmas Carols that don’t start with the song’s title in the first line. The only one I could think of last night was “Winter Wonderland.”
Consider how many carols start with their titles:
- Angels We Have Heard On High
- Away in a Manger
- Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella
- Deck the Halls
- Frosty the Snowman
- God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
- It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
- Joy to the World
- O Little Town of Bethlehem
- Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer (* sort of)
- Silent Night
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas
- We Three Kings of Orient Are
- What Child Is This?
Are there any others that start with the title? Are there any other genres where many of the songs begin with the song’s title?
Have a Merry Christmas!